Sunday, November 14, 2010

A lot can happen in a year....

On Sept 22nd 2010 we welcomed or first child Everett James. I know that every woman and every pregnancy is different, but I had such an easy pregnacny I'd gladly do it again. I had no morning sickness, didn't gain an excessive amount of weight, and didn't have trouble moving around until the last month. We wanted his sex to be a surprise, but the way I was carrying him, 90 % of the people I spoke with said the baby would be a boy. We went on a vacation to the east coast in July when I was 7 months. There were a couple of days above 100 degrees, but I climbed the stairs to the Statue of Liberty like everyone else.
The only downside to the trip was that we had a car accident in Delaware which ended up totaling the vehicle. The impact wasn't that bad, but cost of repairs exceeded the value by a few 100 dollars. I loved that car, but it had a good long life. RIP 2000 Xterra. We ended up getting a victory red 2010 HHR to replace it. Not my first choice, but we got an awesome deal on it.
It was our intention for Everett to be born at home, but he had other plans. For the last few weeks of my pregnancy he stayed firmly in breech position with one leg down and the other up. The midwives won't deliver a breech baby and neither will most doctors, so I needed a c-section. After the surgery being delayed for 10 hours (not eating anything more than a granola bar and juice box that whole time) I received a spinal that numbed me from the armpits down. I was more concerned that I couldn't breathe than that they were cutting me open. He was 7 pounds 9 ounces, 20 3/4 inches. The nurse measured him twice, she didn't believe it. Brian made a comment that I was vegan throughout my pregnancy, to which the nurse said the usual "Did she get enough protein?" Brian pointed to Everett with a "well, duh!" look on his face. In the recovery room I was very sick from the spinal. I really wanted to breastfeed only, luckily Everett was fine with waiting a bit. Now at 7 weeks he's 13 pounds about 23 inches, and fitting very well in 3 month size clothing. I'm going back to work in a week, which I think I'm ready for. Maybe.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Chicky,

First of all, congratulations on your newborn! 2nd, I wanted to introduce myself, my name is Lisa and I am currently working at Back to the Roots, the company that grows mushrooms from recycled coffee grounds!

I saw your support for what we’re doing on the Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan blog post and just wanted to thank you personally with a special 20% discount code: bttr20 (Can be used at www.bttrventures.com )

It’s 20% off our Easy-to-Grow Mushroom Garden…makes a great holiday gift item! Feel free to reach out to me at lisa@bttrventures.com if you have any questions!

Thank you!

-Lisa Wang
Marketing Associate